Whenever I am embarking on a personal journey, it always helps me to share it with my followers on social media. One of the things that I have noticed when I post is that there is always someone else going through the exact same thing.
One of my blessings and curses is that I find myself devoting so much energy and time pouring into other people, instead of myself. I have learned that people will drain you and use you up if you left them. What’s in the cup is for me and what runneth over is for everyone else. Well, back in September I made a commitment to stop neglecting myself and to have my own cup filled.
“What’s in the cup is for me and what runneth over is for everyone else.”
Somewhere along the way of life, I have always associated being happy, sad, frustrated or pissed off with submerging myself in food. I felt like it took all of my worries away and then they would come back and it was a constant cycle of weight gain. My weight has always fluctuated most of my life and there comes a point where you have to get tired of saying “Let me get ready for next Summer”. I want to already ‘Be Ready’.
I have never had a bad relationship with working out, but I have always had a bad one with food. So I needed to repair it and one of the ways was to DEAL with it. Starting in September, I decided to make a drastic change in my diet. I have hypothyroidism (slow thyroid function) and it’s treated with medication, but I also need to monitor it with a healthy eating plan. In September, I decided to do that.
I wanted to share with you just a couple of the types of dishes that I am cooking these days and their recipes. One thing about me is that I love tasty food, not just salads. I’m from the South and we don’t do bland. Check out these dishes I have made so far that taste absolutely amazing!
Broccoli with Gouda Cheese Sauce
1 1/4 Pounds Broccoli — cut in spears
1 Tablespoon Butter
1/2 Cup Onion — chopped , 1 medium
2 Teaspoons Garlic — minced
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/8 Teaspoon Pepper
3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
3/4 Cup Gouda Cheese — shredded 3 ounce
3/4 Cup Mixed Cheddar/Mozzarella Cheese — shredded 3 ounce
1 ounce Butter — melted
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan. Add water to just below the bottom of the steamer basket. Bring water to boiling. Add broccoli to steamer basket. Cover and reduce heat. Steam for 6 to 8 minutes or just until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a medium saucepan, melt the 1 ounce of butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until tender. Stir in heavy whipping sporadically and to your liking. Stir in salt and pepper. Gradually add Gouda cheese and shredded Cheddar cheese, stirring until melted. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Transfer broccoli to a 1 1/2 quart au gratin dish or a 2 quart square baking dish. Sprinkle more shredded cheese over the broccoli. Pour sauce over broccoli. Bake uncovered about 5 minutes.
Famous Taco Salad (No Chips)
- 1/2 c. diced tomato
- 1/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c. salsa
- 1/2 c. guacamole
- 3 oz. ground beef, cooked with onions, chili powder and cumin
- 1/4 c. reduced fat sour cream
- 1/2 c. diced red pepper
- 2 c. leaf lettuce, shredded or ripped
- 1/4 c. refried beans
- 1/2 pack of Taco Seasoning
- 1 ounce of butter-melted
- Makes 1 salad
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute the onions, red peppers. Then brown the ground beef mixed in with the onions and peppers. Drain excess fat. Stir in the taco seasoning,
- In a pot, melt 1 ounce of butter. Add refried beans and simmer until cooked.
- Layer lettuce, tomatoes, peppers & cheese. Warm taco meat & black refried beans, put on top of salad. Add salsa, guacamole and sour cream to top. Sprinkle more shredded cheese (I Love Cheese). Enjoy.